Wednesday 12 June 2013

It's Official

 Well, it's official now -- we're engaged! I can't begin to explain the feelings that have come with this development! I'm really excited, both for this new step, and for all of the planning that is about to commence! I have sooo sooo many ideas and honestly, could probably put together three weddings in a year with the number of ideas in my head. We'll be planning one just one wedding for early August 2014 and the initial venue inquiries have already gone out. Sadly, I don't have the ring to show off quite yet, but we have an appointment to approve the diamond on Friday, and soon after it will hopefully be in my hot little hands.

Patience is not one of my virtues.

Here's the story, adapted from my previous account posted on Light A Candle

"I had a vague idea he might propose in Seattle due to the fact that a lot of people I know have gotten engaged while on vacation. I figured it would be a logical time to pop the question. Compounded with that was the fact I also knew he wanted to propose in a photo booth. Weeks ago he had casually planted the seed by saying out of the blue "we haven't done a photobooth in a long time..." then, shortly after having arrived in Seattle he was all, "WE SHOULD LOOK FOR A PHOTOBOOTH". Going so far as to scour the internet trying to figure out where the Seattle photobooths were located. Turns out, there aren't many. SO we made the plan early on to use the booths at the Pacific Science Center where there are three, two themed and one with the old school flash bulb.

Anyway, I hadn't been 100% sure he was going to propose until while sitting in the foodcourt at Seattle Center I remembered we were going to share a water bottle we had brought, instead of buying one there. I knew the water bottle was in his bag and he had left the bag with me at the table while he went to wait for his pizza slice at the counter. Presuming there might be a ring in the bag I decided not to simply dig in, I opted to hand motion to him from far away "where's the water bottle". A look of comprehension crossed his face and his eyes went wide. Instead of motioning to his bag as he would if it were just a water bottle in there, he walked all the way over to me and took it out himself, and then took his bag with him when he returned to the pizza counter. My heart was in my throat this whole time, as I had just discovered he had the ring.

The Pacific Science Center itself was a little disappointing. The exhibits were haphazardly displayed and a bit old and cheap seeming. We wandered throughout the depressingly empty, huge ass building until we came upon the first photobooth. I was pretty exited and spent the time keeping my third eye on his bag wondering if he would go for it. He didn't. We made silly faces and then moved on. I was a bit disappointed. The old school flash bulb photobooth of our dreams was waiting at the exit of the third building, right next to the gift shop.

We piled into the small space, me sitting on his lap and hunched down so my face would be in the picture. I swiped my visa (visa in a photobooth, AMERICA!), and we made a smiley face. Then, we made a kissy face, he was being all romantic and tender the way he is right before he tells me he loves me and THEN he reached into his pocket and brought out the ring! Haha, you've already seen the pictures so you know my reaction. I was maybe not entirely surprised, but I was surprised by the design of the ring and the sincerity with which he asked me to be his wife! He quickly explained it was a prototype ring and it wouldn't fit. Bummer. But I admit I was even happier when he explained my ring would be rose gold, not white, and the diamond would be pear shaped instead of round. Those two things had been important to me, so I knew he had been listening!

After that, we wandered back to the hotel in a happy daze and then couldn't decide where to eat. We ended up stopping at Local Pho for some soup and a noodle bowl for me. I just felt like I was a zombie all night, numb from the excitement and kinda weird and absent. I admitted to Nick, is this how I should be acting? Should things feel different? Should we act differently? In the end we agreed that however we wanted to act was fine, and whatever we felt was fine.

After that, we went about our vacation with a rosey glow around our heads from the joy. Maybe the reason nothing felt that different was because we were already filled with happiness just from being in eachothers presence."

1 comment: